Sunday 23 June 2013

My most finely tuned skill (or so my friends tell me), my cheesecake

As I said in my disclaimer post, I am by no stretch of the imagination a talented baker! One thing that I can make (pretty much the only thing I can make), is cheesecake.

I have been making this cheesecake for a few years now, and it quickly became the object of my friends affections, and is now the birthday cake of choice for two of my closest friends. Luckily for me, their birthday are within two days of each other (hurray!), although they do still insist of having a full cake each (booo), but I love them both, so it is the least I can do!

I came across the recipe in the deepest depths of the internet, and I can't for the LIFE of me remember where it was (so if you happen to be reading this and recognize it as your own, thank you for giving me and my loved ones years of cheesecakey goodness!), and is as follows:

Ingredients:
Base:
75g butter
180g digestive biscuits

Topping:
500g soft cheese
150g double cream
100g icing sugar
and a splash of vanilla extract

So simple even I can do it!

Directions:
Crush the digestives in a bowl until they are a nice crumbly texture. It needs to be pretty fine so the base holds together, but not so it is a powder. melt the butter in a pan and mix together with the digestives. I tend to line a spring form pan with greaseproof paper, then press the base into the bottom, packing it as tightly as possible, then refrigerate.

While the base is refrigerating, soften the cheese by mixing it. Then mix in the double cream followed by the icing sugar, then finally add the vanilla extract.

Finally; pour the topping on top on the base, smooth out and bang on the counter top to get rid of any air bubbles, then refrigerate again until firm. Once firm, remove the pan sides, and slowly pull down the sides of the paper, then voila!

It really is impossible for me to oversell how simple this recipe is, but the results are so great!


Above is this years birthday cheesecakes for my two friends (apologies for the terrible photo quality, but it was 2am and I was trying to get it done before the start of the next hockey period so I snapped a quick photo with my phone).

Happy cheesecake making!

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment